In this post: Booking Through Thursday and Thursday Thirteen
Charlie Quillen asks:
Has a book ever inspired you to change anything in your life, fiction or non-fiction alike?
Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad, Poor Dad inspired me to change the way I look at money. Kate White’s Why Good Girls Don’t Get Ahead but Gutsy Girls Do helped me change the way I evaluate myself. The Da Vinci Code inspired me to change my attitude toward The Bible. The entertainment of puzzles in Dan Brown’s work and its references to concepts that ring a bell around times long ago when the Bible was spoon-fed to me, sparked a fancy to rediscover non-fiction mystery that the Bible has abundance of, as well as advice and knowledge that never gets old.
Thursday 13: Inspiring changes. Which ones speak to you best?
1. Change brings opportunity. ~ Nido Qubein
2. Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein. ~ Life’s Little Instruction Book
3. Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change. ~ Jim Rohn
4. Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. ~ Henry van Dyke
5. Each person’s task in life is to become an increasingly better person. ~ Leo Tolstoy
6. Remembering you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. ~ Steve Jobs, 2005 Stanford commencement address
7. The greatest mistake you can do in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~ Elbert Hubbard
8. Twenty years from now you will be disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain
9. Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix ~ Christina Baldwin
10. We all have big changes in our lives, that are more or less a second chance. ~ Harrison Ford quoted by Gary Jenkins, Imperfect Hero
11. Someone was hurt before you, wronged before you, humiliated before you, frightened before you, beaten before you, raped before you, yet someone survived. You can do anything you choose to do. ~ Maya Angelou
12. We have a strategic plan. It’s called ‘doing things.’ ~ Herb Kelleher
13. Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful is it is encouraging because it means things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better. ~King Whitney Jr